NOFASD Australia would like to encourage its network to lobby members of parliament for improvements in the prevention, diagnosis, and management of FASD in Australia.

We often get asked for tips on how to contact your local MP to lobby for change, so we hope you find this resource useful. Please keep us updated on your efforts and let us know if we can assist in any way.

Remember, it is the job of your local MP to represent the interests of everyone in your electorate in the parliament. It is important that you let your voices be heard so that your local MP can represent your concerns. Your stories of living with FASD on a daily basis are a particularly powerful advocacy tool and should be brought to the fore.

Who should I contact?

The Hon Greg Hunt MP is the federal Minister for Health. Contact Mr Hunt

Contact details for your local MP can be found on the Parliament of Australia website. Contacting and meeting your local MP raises awareness and the more politicians on board the better.

You may also wish to contact your local representative at the state or territory government level. FASD is both a federal and state/ territory issue. Please refer to the relevant government website for contact details.

What should I include in an email or letter to my local MP?


Note: All federal MPs and Senators should have received a copy of the Call to Action from Australian Parents – Our Common Voice in December 2013.


To help kick start your letter writing we have drafted a sample letter. Please adapt the letter to your personal situation as per the sections highlighted in red.

Things you can ask your local MP to do:

Politicians will always want to know what it is that you want them to do for you. Here are some ideas:



It is important to follow-up with your local MP. If you do not receive a response to your letter within one month, email or phone your local electorate office. You will most likely speak to a personal assistant or electorate officer in the first instance. You can request a meeting with your local MP and if they are unavailable you should be able to request a meeting with one of their policy advisors.  

How can I prepare for a face-to-face meeting with my local MP?